Today's recipe is about finding a yummy AND healthy recipe to try. It's yummy cause there's feta and it's healthy because there's spinach.
Now you might be saying to yourself:
What does this have to do with Halloween?
Well I'll tell you!
Last year for Halloween my boyfriend and I went as Popeye and Olive Oyl.
This recipe is for Popeye... for obvious reasons. This recipe might be Olive Oyl if we stretch the olive oil, feta, greek connection but I'm not gonna go there.
It's for Popeye.
Spinach and Feta Swirls
Recipe from Healthy Tasty Chow
1 lb spinach
6-8 oz feta, crumbled
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
2 tb flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed for 40 minutes at room temp
1. Preheat oven to 375f
2. In sauce pan - over medium-high heat, melt just enough butter to coat the pan, add garlic and onion and cook until onion is see-through.
3. Little by little, add spinach (add butter if necessary) until it's all wilted and cooked through - allow liquid to boil for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Pour spinach in a colander in sink and allow to drain, pushing excess water through.
5. Pat spinach with paper towel to make sure its fairly dry.
6. Place the spinach in a bowl with the beaten egg, parsley, and feta.
7. Unroll the pastry sheets and brush with melted (not boiling) butter (saving a smidge for later).
8. Spread the mixture on both squares leaving a 1/2-inch border.
9. Roll the pastry into a... roll and slice evenly into 12 slices.
10. Grease the muffin pan and place the spirals in, spiral side down. Brush the remaining "smidge" of butter on the top. Bake for 30-35 mins.
Enjoy your tasty, healthy, muffin-ized treat!